Jump directly to the content
Why I'm a Christian Vegan

Why I'm a Christian Vegan

Ever wondered if you could forego all animal products? Tips and guidance for pursuing a diet that focuses on loving our neighbors as ourselves
Average Rating:
44 Comments

First PagePrevious PagePage 4 of 4No Next PageNo Last Page

1. Cookbooks

The Happy Herbivore series is full of easy, simple, and delicious recipes, many of which are kid-tested and approved! If you're up for something a little fancier, Veganomicon is a great resource. If you're into desserts, try Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World or Practically Raw Desserts. Looking for vegan versions of familiar comfort foods? Pick up a copy of Betty Goes Vegan. There are dozens more incredible cookbooks out there—find your favorites!

2. Documentaries

Forks Over Knives is a fascinating documentary about the health aspects of the vegan diet. Vegucated follows three people as they learn about the health and ethical ramifications and incorporate the diet into their own lives.

3. Blogs

Chocolate Covered Katie has great dessert recipes, and I've never met a child who didn't like her baked oatmeal for breakfast! Healthy. Happy. Life. and Oh She Glows both have tons of recipes with beautiful photos that appeal to every palette. Other fantastic blogs include Carrie On Vegan, Post Punk Kitchen, Choosing Raw, Taste Space, and Vegan Mother Hubbard, whose author is raising two vegan daughters!

4. People

Use HappyCow.net to find vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants in your area, or surf the web for vegan meet-ups, potlucks, and festivals. Make friends with your fellow vegans and aspiring vegans; we have so much to learn from each other! Also, the Christian Vegetarian Association has a great newsletter and some helpful materials on their website.

As Christians, we are called to compassion and love. I have found that a vegan diet helps me live out that compassion, and provides me the opportunity to examine the real ramifications of my daily choices. Daniel and his men ate nothing but veggies while in King Nebuchadnezzar's palace, and "at the end of the ten days, Daniel and his three friends looked healthier and better nourished than the young men who had been eating the food assigned by the king" (Daniel 1:15).

Let us join the songs of praise sung by all that God has created, all that Jesus has saved. Amen!

"Praise the Lord from the earth, you creatures of the ocean depths, fire and hail, snow and clouds, wind and weather that obey him, mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars, wild animals and all livestock, small scurrying animals and birds" (Psalm 148:7–10).

Subscribe to TCW's free e-newsletter at this link for weekly updates and opportunities to win free books and music.

Maggie Olson is a vegan writer from the Midwest. Follow her on Twitter @maggiebolson.

First PagePrevious PagePage 4 of 4No Next PageNo Last Page

also in this issue

November Week 1
Gifts that Keep on Giving

Gifts that Keep on Giving

Five creative—and courageous—ways to buy presents this Christmas
Shane Claiborne on Sustainable Living

Shane Claiborne on Sustainable Living

Growing a 'Garden of Eden' in a concrete jungle
Doing Good by Buying Well

Doing Good by Buying Well

Embark on a journey toward compassionate consumerism
A Better Way to Shop

A Better Way to Shop

A letter from the editor

ratings & comments

Average User Rating:

Displaying 1–44 of 44 comments

shamain

April 15, 2014  8:28pm

One charge that we have to take on as Christians, is caring for the poor. You would be surprised at the negative feedback that mass animal/natural resource consumption dumps into the laps of the poor. We should definitely be concerned about how we personally contribute to the well being of others. People seem to forget that the earth is one big ecosystem. God knew what He was doing.

Tanya

April 09, 2014  5:11am

People are dying without knowing our Lord , can we be more concerned about the souls rather than our eating lifestyle and the animals ?

Tom

April 07, 2014  4:04pm

Great article, Maggie. Thank you! Wish I'd come across it sooner, as I recently wrote a similar essay challenging non-vegan Christians to consider two questions during Lent (also mentioned factory farming and the "dominion" issue): http://spiritualpopculture.com/christians-vegan/

Sharon

April 01, 2014  6:05pm

I am a Christian who happens to be a vegan and a capitalist. As for some people who keep bringing up capitalism and it having to do with factory farming, there are many capitalists who are against this practice so please don't broad brush all capitalists like that.

Asta Lander

March 27, 2014  7:45am

I want to thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I wish I didn't have to say this - but you were brave sharing it in a Christian forum. I am also a Christian vegan. It has been my experience that many Christians are not open to exploring whether or not God is calling them to this lifestyle, and are in fact quite scathing. I believe God has called me to take my commitment to non violence further by extending compassion to our little brothers and sisters - animals. Eating animals (as you say) doesn't just affect them. You mentioned the workers at slaughter houses... did you know that there is a higher rate of domestic violence in towns where there is a slaughterhouse? Is that any wonder when day after day they have to harden their hearts to the screams of animals who don't want to die, to the daily sight and smell of fresh blood? I can see nothing but evil here. We do not need to eat animals, so why would we? So blessed to know there are others loving God and choosing veganism

Sharon

February 19, 2014  4:13pm

Mark's comments are enough to put you off being a Christian. Jesus said in his prayer "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven". We are supposed to be moving towards perfection, not away from it. If we were stagnant, as Mark wishes, we would still have slavery. Thank goodness for some who are willing to stand out from the crowd. Stop eating other creatures. We're not in a flood anymore so don't "need" to, they are sentient creatures and they have emotions just like us and feel pain. You can be healthier, too, as well as have a good conscience. w

Coby

February 12, 2014  4:40pm

I do know in the bible God gave mankind dominion over the animals but I know he didn't mean for them to be tortured and abused like they are. God has also told us to be kind, compassionate and loving and nothing they do to those animals is compassionate or kind. I don't see how that is Christian at all and I don't see how those who are creating the demand for this can be true Christians in their heart. To ignore all the suffering and contribute to it is not Christian. I am a Christian and vegan and I am having a hard time believing anyone doing this is right in the sight of God. I am going to bring this to my church elders and depending on the response I may be leaving the church.

Mark

January 22, 2014  3:15pm

We are not to judge in eating or not eating meat. (Rom 14:1-3). This proposition is made from emotion and not from scripture that killing an animal for food was wrong. Scripture tells us that this is a position taken by seducing spirits and doctrines of devils (1 Tim 4:1-5). We were vegans before the fall (Gen 1:29-30), then came the curse and God gave man flesh to eat (Gen 9:3), and we will again be vegans after the curse is lifted (Isaiah 11:6, Rev 2:7, 21:4, 22:2). Can we lift the curse on this aspect without giving head to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils?

Susan

January 21, 2014  2:46pm

I think it's great to have a Christian perspective on being vegan. Capitalism and Christianity don't always mix, and capitalism has led us to a point where animals are treated as widgets. Just a tool of production, a means to an end, food on the plate. Sure, we were given dominion over God's creation, but we have crossed the line in terms of how the animals are treated and the damage done to the environment. It can be much less expensive to eat a vegetable-based diet. Use your savings to help the poor. If you have more energy after becoming a vegan, go help those in need. More energy to lead a full Christian life! Genesis 1:29-30 -- The first creation was green...

James

January 15, 2014  9:44am

God provided us with these animals for our use?? LMFAO. Yeh right, sure he does.

sonia

January 13, 2014  4:14pm

your bias is showing all over this article - I am a rancher and a Christian. this article is full of misconceptions and exaggerations. please talk to someone who actually raises food for our country world and families, not just the websites and movies put out by folks who have the purpose of getting rid of animal agriculture. God provided us with these animals for our use. Beef provides all the B vitamins, iron, and zinc you need in a 3 oz serving. praying for you

Beth

January 12, 2014  3:07pm

The human health tragedy (atherosclerosis being our country's #1 cause of death), vast environmental destruction and animal horrors of factory farmed animal products are well-documented and undeniable. In addition, we waste 80% of our antibiotics on livestock production, leading to resistant superbugs and a day, perhaps within decades, when people will start dying from simple infections again. We are killing the planet, and animals and ourselves with our gluttony. When I first learned about these issues, I started eating "humanely raised" meats and eggs. But people said, "I can't afford that," so I became vegan 3 years ago to show you can live in accordance with God's call for us to be stewards of creation without spending much money. My husband had the same experience. I have been richly rewarded with weight loss, a reduced grocery bill, much better blood pressure and cholesterol, and just feeling a world better. For being good stewards of His blessed creation, He rewards us richly.

Ken

January 09, 2014  3:52pm

I have been a vegan for three years, and was a vegetarian for 25 years previous to that. My only regret is that I did not become a vegan in the first place. The writer is not preaching veganism as central to Christianity. She is sharing the Christian principles that led her to become Vegan. For my health it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal, but even the compassion of the wicked is cruel. Proverbs 12:10 (NASB) http://kenranderson.com/rants/stewardsofcreation.html

Dawn

January 02, 2014  1:50pm

This is same as my story here. I can't share Thursday 'Last Supper' as they serve animal parts/fluids all around me. Nothing sacred about gorging on toxic animal. How un-churchlike but I find many Church goers are not really true Christians. They couldn't care less who they hurt & they often are overweight, mean spirited. Truly appalling all things considered. Thanks for this story. Have strength. Vegan values will be protected & soon the law will be on our side where it belongs.

Katie

December 14, 2013  7:52pm

I can't believe so many people are persecuting you for your choice of veganism! I'm also vegan and a Christian. I felt called to it as a way of fulfilling my own values of love and compassion; but many people feel threatened by that statement. As if by hearing/reading that, it's saying something about their own love/compassion, when that is clearly not the intention. If you read this with defensiveness, please understand that the article was not an attack, but a beautiful way of sharing one more way to follow Christ. Instead of attacking it, why not look deeply into the issues she mentions yourself, with an open mind and open heart. You may find yourself agreeing with her, or you may not, but what harm is there in looking into the truth of the matter yourself?

selam

November 22, 2013  5:43am

Our body needs small bit from this and that. Lets not be carried out by the recent politics about being vegiterian. I don't agree with the way the writer trying to spritualize the idea of being vegiterian. I know a christian brother from my church who suffered from a problem in his system (his legs, hands and tangue). He was not proerly functioning due to lack of proper diet (eggs, meat and the like). he was not eating these things for long time. now with the help of medicine and the foods he is recovering. Dear Maggie in this world people are also not treated properly let alone animals. As christians we have to treat the animals as well as people very well.

Melissa Halsted

November 21, 2013  8:50am

Hi Maggie. This could have been me writing this article. I have been a vegan since January 1, 2011. I am also a devout Christian. Almost every Christian gathering outside of church services centers around food. I love that and have been to culinary school and enjoy sharing dishes with everyone. The problem is that when I don't bring something and end up just eating fruit or some lettuce and a tomato, there are always tons of questions and ultimately a group of people start questioning me. I love to explain a plant based diet. I completed the eCornell certification course in plant based nutrition so I don't feel like I am put on the spot. I do, however, feel judged. It makes me sad that what I eat and choose not to eat offends people. I am not the hamburger police, I don't get involved in what is on anyone else's plate. I was even told by a woman from church that the bible says we "have" to eat meat. I have read the bible and it does not say that. Thank you for writing about this.

Kim

November 13, 2013  3:55pm

This article is nicely written editorially speaking, but scripturally, not so much (3 stars for sharing your "why".) I'm a vegetarian btw. To be fair, likely such low factory standards for raising and eating meat didn't occur back in, say, "Little House on the Prairie" times. Families (not factories) raised Wilbur, and then thanked God for "bacon" during the long cold winter. Just sayin'. Some folks are raising decently on many a "farm" even now. Capitalism and greed may be the greater "sins" than eating meat. Jesus said it isn't what you put into your mouth that makes you unclean, but what comes out of it (Matt 15:10-11; Mark 7:17-19). Personal conviction is what is important here, not worldly "rules." We ought not to "judge" (Matt 7:1). My conviction is "vegetarian" now, but if the Lord said, "eat chicken," I'd be so there. Prodigal's dad killed the calf, Jesus provided fish to eat. As long as the "Fruit of the Spirit" is in the recipe of a person's character, seems it's all good.

Carissa Norris

November 13, 2013  8:07am

So many have responded to this Biblically, so I won't rehash their Biblical statements (I agree with Frances 100%). I laughed when I read the comments because of the idea that Jesus was vegan. He multiplied meat for people to eat and ate meat himself, so that just plain isn't true.

Candy

November 13, 2013  6:38am

I noticed that the article stated "...and a bag of rice is way cheaper than a pork chop." I wonder if when this is said, the writer brings into consideration the human cost/suffering for those not paid a fair wage or enslaved in rice fields. Don't get me wrong, I see great virtue in a vegan lifestyle. Furthermore, sooner or later there will be scientific studies that show that how we grow "meat" (and how we grow "grain") in the US is killing us. But in everything, I default to the bible and am reminded of the freedom we have in Christ and how we are to choose wisely, as outlined in 1 Corinthians 10:23-33, where it warns that not everything is beneficial, but also says "...5 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26 for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.” 27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience."

Marie

November 11, 2013  11:08pm

Its really quite simple. Just ask yourself WWJD -what would Jesus do? There is no doubt in my mind that Jesus would be vegan today as eating animals is not a necessity but a choice to most on this planet. Keith Akers writes about Jesus possibly being a vegetarian and his strong opposition to violence and animal sacrifice in "The Lost Religion of Jesus: Simple Living and Nonviolence in Early Christianity"

wanda

November 11, 2013  9:19pm

(I mistakenly clicked one star instead of straight to four!) I would say if you can take a slice of flesh from the rump of a cow, for example, cook it (or not!) and ENJOY eating it, then you'll feel O.K. about carnivorism etc. What about the suffering the creatures go through, though? "There is more of the spirit of God in everything that lives, than even in the Sacred Book(s)..." If God , the God of Love and Mercy, can contemplate the killing of His created creatures to satisfy the urges and tastes of His humans, then He is the God which Man has created, in MAN's image, of vengeance, judgment and severe punishment, rather than the TRUE GOD, in my understanding and opinion. I think we must think things out for ourselves. If it is less worthy than that which even the purest human would do, then it is NOT what GOD would wish, nor what Jesus would do - no matter what the Bible's interpretation, or interpretations since.

Elaine

November 11, 2013  8:21pm

1 Cor 8:13 "Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend." Ok, all of you holy flesh eaters, this is the response a REAL Christian should have if their way of doing anything offends anyone. You claim to love Jesus, then how about behaving a little like Him? Hear the Word of the Lord. Matt 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. The Western diet is THE cause of MOST diseases and death, it is Satan's diet, not God's. Because church goers are ADDICTED to meat, dairy, processed foods, the overweight/obesity rate among them is 76%. The general pop. is 70%! What a witness you are! Is your body a temple or dump? God's diet is Gen 1:29. Those who eat it find health and healing. Those who understand the TRUTH have suffered enough at the hands of gluttons.

Joyce Young

November 11, 2013  7:28pm

To LAB WORKER: remember the verse about judging? Good! God gave us all free will and we are commanded not to judge others. I have been vegetarian for 6 years. I do this for compassionate reasons: why does Godly compassion not include animals? We are commanded to be good stewards of all 'dominion'. This is most certainly in line with the Bible! This does not include exploitation that causes suffering. When you stop eating meat the world looks very different.

Paul

November 11, 2013  6:08am

Marian, what you say is false about not eating meat. There multiple groups of humans throughout this world who rarely eat meat and have no western diseases. The human body can adapt to any diet. Take for instance the Kitavans, they eat high carb, high fat, low protein diet and they do not have any deficiencies as you suggest. The myth that you must eat animal protein to live a healthy life is a lie. Not only do we have scriptures to support what I am saying, we also have science as well. Study Ancient Human Diets, and you will find many humans ate what was in their geographical region. (Which mainly was whole foods mostly carbs). In scriptures, the average Israelite did not eat meat because it was very expensive. Many people were vegetarians due to economic reason. As for being a vegetarian/vegan in America, there is nothing wrong with it. Who wants to eat steroid, cancer causing agent induced meat anyways? Sure you could eat organic, untainted meat, but it's very expensive.

Austin Gbadebo

November 10, 2013  8:59am

The highest ethic is LOVE. This is what prompted me to read this article in the first place. I finished reading and I was very sad. If this article is saying what I think it is saying, then Jesus Himself is the worst offender because Luke 24:39-43 says Jesus ate fish and honey. Brother Paul warns of perilous times when people will go about forbidding men to eat meat, which God has created to be received with thanksgiving. To the writer, let me kindly say 'look carefully before you write something as loaded as this.' To TCW, would you please also look before you print. While I respect your desire to be unbiased to the views of every christian, the BIBLE is the final authority. Saying 'No' applies across the board, not just to sin but to 'adding or taking away from the words of God.' Please there is a dying world out there. Let's not encumber the readership by things that are so hurtful to The Glorious gospel and the vision of God to bring the whole of mankind back to Himself.

Teresa L Sage

November 10, 2013  2:09am

I discern a great deal of left wing propaganda in many of TCW's recent articles. I will not be renewing my subscription.

Marian Van Til

November 09, 2013  2:09pm

I'm an animal lover and I revel in and daily thank God for the wonders of his creation. I'm also a meat eater. Yes, there are troubling aspects of "factory farming" that MUST be addressed re: being good stewards and tenders of the animals God created for our enjoyment and use. But mis-stating the facts is not being truthful -- e.g.. "Cows endure milking machines latching onto their chapped and infected udders multiple times per day, extracting milk produced by repeated forced impregnation." That's simply untrue. Research! Secondly, Ms. Olson quotes Peter Singer as a positive source. Are you kidding me? Singer is not called the "architect of death" for nothing. Again: research! Find out what he's really all about. Thirdly, it is simply unhealthy NOT to eat meat-protein for prolonged periods. Red meat contains all essential amino acids as nothing else does. Olson is eventually going to have health issues. Keep meat; cut out sugars/starch; but do eat honey, a whole-food gift from God.

Kristen

November 09, 2013  9:41am

I have been vegan for almost two months now, and feel so much healthier. I don't miss meat and dairy at all. The comments from other readers don't surprise me at all at this point. People are so addicted to meat and dairy that they would rather live an unhealthy lifestyle than give it up. I would challenge other readers to step out of their comfort zone, give up pre-conceived ideas of veganism, and read the book "The Engine 2 Diet" or "The Pleasure Trap". You don't have to think that animals are more important than people to make a healthy change in your eating .

Elizabeth

November 09, 2013  8:44am

Ms. Olsen did a wonderful job of explaining why veganism is a great choice for today's Christian woman. Anyone who is concerned about stewardship of the earth, animals, and humanity might consider being vegan because it eliminates our participating in so many abusive practices. A documentary that changed my view is "Earthlings," which thoroughly documents the norm of animal cruelty in the factory farming industry (it is also free to watch online). I grew up a meat lover and a dairy lover. However, 8 months ago my husband and I chose to go vegan and it has changed our lives forever. My health has improved in many ways, I've lost weight naturally without denying myself satisfying meals, skin is clear, digestion is improved, and I have more energy. Also, I can still eat great substitutes for the things I missed most like butter, cream cheese, yogurt, milk, eggs, meatballs, pizza, baked desserts, and hamburgers. Never going back! 1 Cor. 10:23

Jessie Brodbeck

November 08, 2013  11:04pm

I'm saddened by previous responses, and applaud the writer of this thoughtful article. I'm not sure why previous comments are an "Old Testament practices" vs "New Testament practices" as an argument. Yes, as a believer and follower of Jesus, I am not under the law, but I am still called to be humane. The way that animals are warehoused and treated is simply brutal and inhumane. One only needs to visit a slaughterhouse to be repulsed and sickened by it. I can't believe the conditions that are practiced today are Biblically sound. So- I continue to work to eliminate meat and meat products from my diet. Not because I'm some "new age fanatic", but because I think all of God's creation and His earth should be treated with respect. Personally "dominion"to me doesn't mean cruelty or inflicting suffering on animals or beasts. If that's fanaticism, I'll take it....

Cate

November 08, 2013  10:40pm

SO...I read down further and there is yet ANOTHER article about Christians not eating meat. Have ANY of you authors ever read the New Testament? Do you not know about God's grace and how the laws of old were abolished when Jesus came to earth? Sorry TCW, you have just lost this subscriber. I believe in reading about God's TRUTH, not some new-agers re-writing the Bible to agree with their lifestyles!!

Cate

November 08, 2013  10:19pm

Gee, Today's Christian Woman, I think you should have read this article before allowing it in your magazine. Now I know what is meant by every man's interpretation of the Bible. Trying to convince us meat-eating hunters that God is showing us we should be vegans is just not sittling well with me. And, to top it off, quoting Peter Singer? Here is a direct quote from the author's hero, Peter Singer: “Christianity is our foe. If animal rights is to succeed, we must destroy the Judeo-Christian religious tradition.”

Frances

November 08, 2013  7:07pm

This article is hardly biblical. Stating the creation story as being given dominion over the animals I believe was more in how we treat animals. What about the story of the prodigal son where the father got the largest most succulent calf and served his guests with it? What about the story of Jesus feeding the 5000 with fish? Lamb's blood in Moses time was painted on the sides of doors to fend off the Spirit of Death. The Book of Leviticus introduces us to rules of what kinds of animals are clean for consumption, amongst them any cloven animal is not suitable. The argument is not that it is ungodly to eat meat or even to drink wine for the same reason. These are not sins. The sin is gluttony which is indulgence in food which most of us are guilty of. Also, the sin is in how we treat animals. We are a Christian family and we eat meat, mainly we eat organic meat, organic eggs and when possible cheese but also organic milk. Since these are expensive we eat less of them.

Tammi Downes

November 08, 2013  7:00pm

Jesus ate fish...so I'm good.

Chris

November 08, 2013  6:33pm

My chickens go outside whenever they want to and I don't feel a bit guilty about eating their eggs. Just sayin'

NK

November 08, 2013  3:33pm

Wow, a quote from Peter Singer? He has a very, um, interesting view of animals. Not a great source for an article in a Christian publication. Does anyone from TCW cite check? I don't care if he was just talking about mice, here; it kills the author's credibility.

RUN

November 08, 2013  3:14pm

I agree with LSKN in that the article feels one-sided. I don't feel people have to go vegan to express their faith. I feel food abuse happens in all food groups, not just with animal products. Personally, I try to focus on gratitude with God's blessings. It is easy for me to get critical and negative with what God has given me whether it is the food I eat, my body, or relationships. When I am expressing gratitude I tend to make better choices with eating and enjoy food more. I believe the enemy wants us to fear food and look at food as evil when it is truly a blessing. I believe the enemy spreads lies throughout the media and blinds us from the truth. I feel how I eat starts with my relationship with God and starts with prayer. It starts with an attitude of gratitude and not an attitude of fear. I also feel it can be dangerous when food prevents fellowship with other Christians. We are only stronger when we unite. The enemy likes us to isolate ourselves.

Kate

November 08, 2013  3:08pm

OK, so if you want to be vegan, that is all on you. But using the Bible to support your position, as if those who are Christian and aren't vegan, are "not being christian" is a huge issue. There are many options besides meat and dairy from factory farms. Find a farmer that treats their animals humanely and in the way God intended for us to use them. They still exist, or better yet raise your own food. Also, quoting Peter Singer---a HUGE supporter of Eugenics in an article that is all about how you think God wants us to behave, kind of discredits your entire viewpoint. There are so many other ways this article could have been written. It's pretty disappointing.

Lab Worker

November 08, 2013  3:00pm

Looking at the author's twitter site where she posts the following comments below, her "Christian" credibility appears a bit vegan like as well. Hebrews 12:14 Maggie Olson ‏@maggiebolson 29 Oct In 12 days I'm driving a U-Haul 360 miles by myself to move to a state I've visited exactly once. Scary? Hell yes. Doing Maggie Olson ‏@maggiebolson 5 Nov I left for yoga 45 minutes early and still was several miles away when it was slated to start. No yoga for me. EFF YOU, Chicago traffic. Barack Obama ‏@BarackObama 5 Nov "Michelle and I are overjoyed for all the committed couples in Illinois whose love will now be as legal as ours." —President Obama Maggie Olson ‏@maggiebolson 21 Oct I both love and hate when I read a horoscope that is actually applicable or accurate. Maggie Olson ‏@maggiebolson 19 Oct Women's retreat: a bunch of grown-ass women who just finished a puzzle and now are eating snacks and watching Pitch Perfect in our PJ's. NUFF SAID !

Deanna

November 08, 2013  2:51pm

Romans 14 1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand. As a Christian who works in the beef industry I am highly offended by this article. You seriously need to stop taking the word of others and truly look into the industry for yourself.

LSKN

November 08, 2013  2:37pm

This article is very one-sided. I don't believe there is only one Christian way to eat. It's possible to eat fresh, local foods (including meat and dairy) that are compassionately produced. A diet high in grains and fruits is harmful for diabetics and others with blood sugar and/or weight issues. It's sad to see how much of the food served at church functions is unhealthy---too much sugar and too many bad carbs. We rarely attend potlucks or other group meals because the food is harmful to our health.

gwanth

November 06, 2013  10:52pm

chidinama, Do you have no problem with dog meat, liquified cat, or horse meat? If so, I'd be very interested to hear your argument against these meats. Furthermore, did you read anything she wrote about the costs of meat to human health and the environment? Did you read any of her Bible quotes? Gen. 9.3 (yours) could be used to justify the recent extinction of Black Rhinos because of poachers, hammering dogs to death to enhance their flavor, or cannibalism for that matter. If eating animals as we do hurts our fellow man and you eat it anyway--that is not Christian. Modern consumption of meat hurts people in many ways; the mutation of bacterial infections which the CDC has noted as part of the reason that antibiotics may soon not be useful for humans, to name one, but if you wanted to itemize the source of modern pandemics: bird-flu, swine-flu, H1N1, Mad-Cow and Hoof-and-Mouth, to name a few. You will find that meat is the most preventable change we could make to control these diseases.

chidinma

November 06, 2013  7:06pm

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. Genesis 9. 3 Never said anything about dont eat this and that because it is cruel. Simply said everything is food. Its your choice not to eat but please dont use the Bible as reference because t is ypur personal choice not God commandment.

Rate and comment on this article: *

Low

High

1000 character limit

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Shopping