In every dating relationship there are “red flags.” If you can’t identify them, most likely you don’t know the guy very well. He’s perpetually late, insensitive, or maybe there is no spark between you. We are all fallen human beings, bent on foolishness and selfishness.
So, the question becomes when does a red flag mean, “proceed with caution” and when does it signify “run for your life!” The most serious red flags in my book can be summed up with 3 C’s.
I would rather marry an unattractive, boring man with great character than the most charming guy who lacks it. A healthy marriage is impossible without traits like integrity, kindness, and unselfishness. How can you be sure that he is really working late when he doesn’t come home until 7:00? Can you trust him to value your feelings even when he doesn’t understand you?
Character can sometimes be difficult to discern in a dating relationship. After all, you are both presenting the best “you,” so character flaws might be disguised in the midst of romance. Here are few subtle red flags that may signify show-stopping character flaws in a man you are dating.
- He demonstrates traits of dishonesty like stretching the truth or flat-out lying.
- He is unkind or dismissive to those who are easy to overlook in our world.
- He becomes defensive or angry when confronted.
- He values things or money over people
- It’s always about him . . . What he wants, what he thinks, what he needs.