10 Simple Ways to Say “I Love You”

Specific ideas for investing in your marriage
10 Simple Ways to Say “I Love You”
Image: XIXINXING / SHUTTERSTOCK

When I titled my most recent book 101 Simple Ways to Show Your Husband You Love Him, I got a lot of pushback from women.

“Everything I do shows him I love him. I take care of our kids, I work, I take care of the house. I need him to show me how much he loves me.”

And I get it. I really do. We get to a point where we wonder if anything we do has any impact on our marriage. But the reason I believe in the power of simple yet specific acts of service to improve a marriage is that service is the easiest way to communicate not only that you love your man but that you respect him as well.

According to The Gottman Institute, fondness and admiration are two of the most crucial elements in a rewarding and long-lasting romance. When we act in loving and respectful ways, it not only shows our husband that we love him, but it also changes the fiber of our marriage.

So here are ten ways to say “I love you” to your spouse through specific actions.

1. Give Specific Encouragement

When I say, “You’re a great husband!” that compliment often flies right past my guy. When I tell him, “I loved how you handled that phone call with our bank: respectful, but firm,” it means much more because I pulled out exactly what I noticed that makes me proud of him.

2. Brag in Front of Loved Ones

If your mate is a fun-loving, expressive personality, you can start bragging, then stop and say, “Honey, why don’t you tell the whole story?” Your spouse will love the chance to take center stage.

Member access onlyYou have reached the end of this Article Preview
To continue reading, join now for free and get complete access.
orJoin Now for Free

Read more articles that highlight writing by Christian women at ChristianityToday.com/Women

Free CT Women Newsletter

Sign up for our free Marriage & Family newsletter: CT's weekly newsletter to help women grow their marriage and family relationships through biblical principles.

Husbands; Love; Marriage; Spouse; Wives
Today's Christian Woman, March 30, 2016
Posted March 30, 2016

Read These Next

Comments

Join in the conversation on Facebook or Twitter

May 25

Follow Us

More Newsletters

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest