3 Dangerous Ideas About Money

Will you embrace Christ’s countercultural approach toward cash?
3 Dangerous Ideas About Money

"Just trust Jesus, send us a check, and you’ll be blessed with abundant riches!”

“Just purchase this item for [insert ludicrous amount] and you’ll be instantly happy!”

“Just swipe this card and forget about it—no worries!”

It’s easy to spot bald-faced lies like these. Their deception is obvious and, for people of faith, it’s simple to see that these sorts of ideas have no place in a life of wise financial stewardship. But other money-lies aren’t as easy to spot; some distorted ideas about money can still sneak into our minds and hearts. Consider these:

1. If I Only Had a Little More

I’ll admit it: occasionally I daydream about a financial windfall. What would I do if zillions of dollars showed up on my doorstep or if I somehow won the lottery (without actually playing it)? Life sure would be better, wouldn’t it, if I didn’t have to worry about medical bills or college savings? Think of all the good I could do with all that extra money!

While a bit of daydreaming may be harmless, a real danger lies in thinking that a bit more money can solve our problems. Why? According to Patricia Raybon, it’s because often the issues aren’t so much tied to the numbers in the checking account as they are to the mindset we bring to the money we have. In “God, Money, and You,” Patricia shares her own experience of receiving an inheritance and how it pushed her to face—and change—her own money mindset.

Subscriber access onlyYou have reached the end of this Article Preview
To continue reading, join now for free and get complete access.
orJoin Now for Free
Kelli B. Trujillo

Kelli B. Trujillo is editor of Today’s Christian Woman. Follow her on Twitter at @kbtrujillo or @TCWomancom.

Free CT Women Newsletter

Sign up today for our biweekly newsletter: Lifework Newsletter. Explore God’s purpose for women in their career and calling as a means to influence culture and community.

Business; Jesus Christ; Money; Stewardship; Wisdom
Today's Christian Woman, January Week 2, 2015
Posted January 14, 2015

Read These Next

For Further StudyFor Further StudyDownloadable resources to go deeper

Comments

Join in the conversation on Facebook or Twitter

May 25

Follow Us

More Newsletters

Facebook
Twitter