"Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching" (Prov. 1:8). When children in the Bible followed their parents' directions, the results were sometimes favorable, sometimes disastrous. Can you match these parents (and children) with their words of advice?
Parents: Abraham, Manoah, David, Mordecai, Hosea, Naomi, Paul, Jacob, Rebekah, Jesse, Solomon
Children: Timothy, Solomon, David, Ruth, Samson, Jezreel, Esther, Isaac, Rehoboam, Reuben, Joseph, Jacob
(More names are listed than needed)
- The advice ____________ gave his son ______________ is still worth heeding today: "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in."
- ___________ told his spiritual son _____________, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."
- _________________ told her son _________ to "Go out to the flock and bring me two choice young goats, so I can prepare some tasty food for your father, just the way he likes it."
- ____________ should have listened to his father __________ as well as his mother when they inquired about their son's love interests, "Isn't there an acceptable woman among your relatives or among all our people?"
- Before he died, _____________ gave these final instructions to his son ____________: " ? observe what the Lord your God requires: Walk in his ways, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and requirements, as written in the Law of Moses, that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go."