Is one of your resolutions for the new year to spend more time in the Bible? In Old Testament times, the Word had to be read in public because most people couldn't read and the sacred scrolls were scarce. How well do you know the details of these occasions when the Scriptures were read aloud?
1. Ezra the priest stood on a high wooden platform and read the Word of the Lord aloud from daybreak until noon. What was the response of the returning exiles from Babylon who had assembled to listen?
A. they bowed down
B. they made idols
C. they wept
2. When Jesus stood up in the synagogue in Nazareth one Sabbath, from which Old Testament book did he read aloud?
3. Who did Paul instruct to "devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and teaching"?
A. the church elders
B. the Corinthians
4. Which book of the Bible offers this promise: "Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it"?
5. When Philip met the Ethiopian eunuch in his chariot on the road to Gaza, he asked, "Do you understand what you are reading?" From which book of the Bible was the eunuch reading?
6. At which event was the Book of the Law to be regularly read aloud to all the people "so they can listen and learn to fear the Lord"?
A. the Sabbath1
C. the Feast of Tabernacles