Today's headlines of conflict in the Middle East are nothing new. The Bible records many clashes between Israel and surrounding countries, dating from the time God first formed that nation. Test your knowledge of these biblical enemies of Israel (listed below). The questions get increasingly more difficult as you go along.
Possible answers: Amalekites, Assyrians, Babylonians, Canaanites, Edomites, Egyptians, Midianites, Moabites, Persians, Philistines, Romans, Hittites, Arameans.
1. In Jesus' day these enemies had conquered the entire nation of Israel and imposed high taxes. Their soldiers carried out Christ's crucifixion.
2. This nation initially welcomed the Israelites but later enslaved them. God sent Moses to their leader demanding that he "let my people go."
3. This nation overcame Israel's champion, Samson, by cutting his hair. Later, their champion Goliath was defeated by young David.
4. These people were already living in the land that God promised to Abraham and his descendants. Joshua led Israel's army into battle to expel them from the Promised Land.
5. God ordered King Saul to completely destroy these people. Because he disobeyed, one of their descendants nearly destroyed the Israelites. Only Queen Esther's intervention saved the Jews.
6. These traditional enemies of Israel descended from Abraham's nephew, Lot. An Old Testament heroine also came from this nation.
7. This nomadic people purchased Joseph as a slave for 20 shekels of silver. Later, a huge army of this nation was defeated by Gideon and only 300 men.1