Mother's Day and Father's Day are at hand, so the calendar reminds us that even the secular world pays its respects to the divine commandment "Honor your father and your mother." Rightly so, for parenting is no easy task, and parents who are really good at it deserve the highest praise. While the Bible presents us with an assortment of people who fared rather badly at parenting (including King David), it also gives us examples of wise and compassionate parents, as well as a ton of useful advice. So open up your mind to some needed inspiration as you work through these questions about biblical moms and dads.
- What mother-to-be was told that she had "found favor with God"?
- What book contains the wise sayings of King Lemuel, taught him by his mother?
- Who gave this bit of advice: "Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged"?
- What book tells the touching (and gruesome) story of a mother who protected the bodies of her murdered sons from the birds and animals?
- In Mark 5, what loving father begged Jesus to come and heal his daughter?
- What saintly man regularly offered sacrifices on behalf of his seven sons and three daughters?
- Which of the four Gospels contains Jesus' parable of the prodigal son—which might also be called the parable of the forgiving father?
- Who praised the mother of Rufus, "who has been a mother to me, too"?
- Which book's final chapter is a description of the perfect wife and mother?