Fire from Heaven
We may be better than our ancestors at predicting the weather, but something we share with the folks of biblical times is our awe—and fear of—lightning. More often than not, the phrase "fire from heaven" in the Bible refers to lightning. The "fire from heaven" is connected with several well-known incidents in the Bible, and a few that are less familiar. Ignite your gray matter and test your knowledge of these electrifying episodes.
- What prophet called down fire from heaven, which consumed a captain and 50 men?
- In Exodus, which of the plagues was accompanied by thunder and lightning flashing down to the ground?
- Complete this verse from the Psalms: "His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and ______."
- What prophet saw a vision of bizarre "living creatures" accompanied by flashing lightning?
- In the Gospels, whose appearance was "like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow"?
- On what famous locale was there a thick cloud, lightning, thunder, "and a very loud trumpet blast"?
- What book describes the long-lost ark of the covenant, accompanied by thunder, lightning, and earthquake?
- What king was in the temple when fire from heaven came down and consumed the sacrifices?
- Who did Jesus see "fall like lightning from heaven"?
- Which two disciples wanted fire from heaven to destroy a Samaritan village?
- What evil person could work miracles, "even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in full view of men"?
Click here for answers.
Copyright © 2007 by the author or Christianity Today/Today's Christian magazine.
Click here for reprint information.