Though scientists tell us that clouds are formations of tiny water droplets in the air, that factual description doesn't do justice to the impression clouds have always made on human beings. Clouds awe us and fascinate us—and rightly so, being distant and imposing, often bringing dramatic changes in the weather. In the Bible, God often made his presence known in the form of clouds. Uncloud your brain for a few minutes and see how familiar you are with clouds in the Bible.
- A pillar of cloud guided what group of people on a long journey?
- What prophet witnessed the end of a long drought after his servant spotted "a cloud as small as a man's hand" rising from the sea?
- On what occasion were Jesus and two other men enveloped by a thick cloud?
- What prophet had a strange vision of "an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light"?
- What New Testament letter refers to great heroes of the faith as a "cloud of witnesses"?
- In the Old Testament, "a thick cloud" covered what famous mountain?
- What Old Testament book contains this verse: "Sing to God, sing praise to his name, extol him who rides on the clouds."
- Which book says that after Jesus ascended into heaven, "a cloud hid him from their sight"?
- In Genesis, God told Noah that he would set his ____ in the clouds.
- According to Jesus, people will some day witness the ____ of _____ coming on the clouds of heaven.
- What book describes "two witnesses" who "went up to heaven in a cloud, while their enemies looked on"?
Click here for answers.
Copyright © 2008 by the author or Christianity Today/Today's Christian magazine.
Click here for reprint information.