Summer is the season of vacations, long lazy days, and fun in the sun. But it's also the season of heat, humidity, and heavy perspiring. If it's any consolation, remember that the people in Bible days couldn't escape to air-conditioned comfort, nor even count on a steady supply of water to quench their thirst. So, pour yourself an icy drink and dig into these questions about the scorching effects of hot weather.
- What Old Testament king had a prophetic dream of grain scorched by a hot wind?
- Which of Jesus' parables speaks of rootless plants withered by the sun?
- What New Testament book prophesies about the saints, "the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat"?
- What man in Genesis was sitting in his tent "in the heat of the day" when the Lord appeared to him?
- Who was told by God, "by the sweat of your brow you will eat your food"?
- What leader warned the Israelites that if they were unfaithful, God would send them "scorching heat and drought"?
- What prophet correctly predicted a seven-year drought in Israel?
- What reluctant prophet was made faint by the hot sun and a scorching east wind?
- What king lamented that "my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer"?
- According to the Letter of James, what sort of people will pass away like grass withered by the hot sun?
Complete this verse from Revelation: "The fourth angel poured out his _____ on the sun, and the sun was given power to scorch people with fire."
Click here for answers.
Poll Question: Have you ever memorized any of these popular Bible verses?
|16%||John 3:16 — "For God so loved … "|
|16%||Phil. 4:13 — "I can do all things … "|
|14%||Psalm 23 — "The Lord is my shepherd … "|
|13%||Rom. 8:28 — "all things work together for good … "|
|12%||Prov. 3:5-6 — "lean not to your own understanding … "|
|11%||1 John 1:9 — "If we confess our sins … "|
|10%||John 14:2 — "In my Father's house … "|
|9%||Are you kidding? I'm lucky to read a verse a day.|
Source: A non-scientific poll of 494 visitors to www.todays-christian.com.
J. Stephen Lang is the author of 15 books about the Bible, including the recently published What the Good Book Didn't Say (Citadel Press) and Talking Donkeys & Wheels of Fire: Bible Stories That Are Truly Bizarre! (Warner).
Copyright © 2005 by the author or Christianity Today/Today's Christian magazine.
Click here for reprint information.