Finding Peace and Purpose in a World of Crazy

3 tips for a more balanced life
Finding Peace and Purpose in a World of Crazy

I remember the day well. I wrote out my New Year’s resolution on an index card and hung it on my bathroom mirror: Be Less Busy! It was my one and only resolution that year. I knew I had to find a way to get off the crazy-busy hamster wheel.

My husband, Mark, and I had just come through the busiest season in our lives. We barely survived with our sanity, much less any feeling of peace. Mark and I have five sons, so you can imagine what our home is like! Just about every flat surface in our house is covered with books, Lego blocks, sports equipment, and, if I’m being honest, a little dog hair. Mark and I were both working full time, hosting a small group, and teaching on Sunday mornings. Mark even coached Pee Wee Football.

Everything we were doing was good, but all of it together was sucking all the life out of us. We were burned-out and unhappy, even though we were doing all the things we thought “good Christians” were supposed to do.

I didn’t know what to do, but I did know this: If I didn’t start breaking busy, busy would break me.

Warning Signs of Burnout

You may be shaking your head and chuckling to yourself, Yeah right, be less busy. How in the world can I be less busy? That’s exactly how I felt when I wrote my New Year’s resolution.

The next thing I did was identify the warning signs of burnout in my life so I could develop a plan. Read the following signs and see if any resonate with you.

Member access onlyYou have reached the end of this Article Preview
To continue reading, join now for free and get complete access.
orJoin Now for Free

Read more articles that highlight writing by Christian women at ChristianityToday.com/Women

Free CT Women Newsletter
Burnout; Busyness; Intentionality; New Year; Responsibility
Today's Christian Woman, December 23, 2015
Posted December 23, 2015

Read These Next

Comments

Join in the conversation on Facebook or Twitter

May 25

Follow Us

More Newsletters

Facebook
Twitter