- Keep your home computer in a common area, like the den, not in a bedroom where a child can "disappear" for hours.
- Learn about the online areas your child visits. One helpful video: "A Parent's Guide to the Internet" ($19.95, "Enough Is Enough!").
- Don't allow your kids into chat rooms, unless they are "Kids Only Chat Rooms" that are securely monitored by the online service.
- Investigate software blocking packages, such as "Rated PG" ($49.95, "Enough Is Enough!"), which allow parents or teachers to program areas the child can access, block objectionable material, and even limit online hours.
- Ask your child not to download any file unless you've approved it.
- Warn your child never to give out his or her name, address, phone number, or password online.
- Become computer-literate and Internet-savvy yourself. It's the best protection you could give your child!
Adapted from "Enough Is Enough!" materials. Copyright "Enough Is Enough!"
Copyright © 1996 by the author or Christianity Today/Today's Christian Woman magazine.
Click here for reprint information on Today's Christian Woman.