The Bible lands are mostly warm and dry, yet the Bible writers were familiar with snow, or at least familiar enough that the phrase "white as snow" occurs many times. They knew of nothing whiter, or purer, than the rare phenomenon of snow blanketing the landscape. Though uncommon, its spotless whiteness made a deep impression. Take a few minutes and chill out with these questions about snow in the Scriptures.
- In the Gospels, who was seen in clothes white as snow?
- Who put his hand inside his cloak and found it was white as snow when he took it out?
- What man was asked by God, "Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail?"
- What book contains the famous repentant line, "Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow"?
- What Old Testament prophet saw the Ancient of Days, His clothing and hair white as snow, sitting on the heavenly throne?
- Complete this line from Proverbs: "Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, honor is not fitting for a ____."
- Who was afflicted with leprosy, "like snow," for rebelling against Moses?
- The valiant fighter Benaiah is mentioned as killing what fierce creature "on a snowy day"?
- Complete this line from Psalm 147: "He spreads the snow like wool and scatters the _____ like ashes."
- What prophet quotes God as saying, "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow"?
What is the "coolest" book of the Bible, mentioning snow, ice, or frost a total of nine times?
Click here for answers.
J. Stephen Lang is the author of 15 books about the Bible, including the recently published What the Good Book Didn't Say (Citadel Press) and Talking Donkeys & Wheels of Fire: Bible Stories That Are Truly Bizarre! (Warner).
Copyright © 2006 by the author or Christianity Today/Today's Christian magazine.
Click here for reprint information.
Read These Next
- Bible IQThe Taxman Cometh