3 Keys for Finding Your Calling

Practical ways to discover God's will

Do I take this job offer? Should I marry this guy? Should I go for that promotion? Do I want to have kids? Should I be with my kids full time? Do I need to work less? More? Is it time to ask for a raise? Is it time for a vacation? Is it time to quit? Even when you're in God's Word and praying and listening regularly to God, these decisions are still very difficult to make!

You can—even without handy memos from God—approach those day-to-day decisions in a way that honors his will for your life. There are three keys you can use to help discover your calling. They don't make up a to-do list that you can complete and set aside. Think of it instead as a tool box—something you will revisit again and again as you face new questions and challenges.

1. Assess yourself.

You are God's unique (and developing) creation, and you need to understand the gifts that he has given you. What are your priorities, strengths, and weaknesses? Start by taking the time for serious introspection and think through the basics on your own. It helps if you have some work history to reflect on, but if you're just coming out of school, that's okay too. What kinds of work projects or assignments do you like (or dislike) doing? What's your work style— do you like to plan ahead or take things as they come? Do you prefer to work closely with other people or by yourself? Do you enjoy public speaking? How do you feel about meeting new people? When you have a task to do, what best motivates you to complete it?

Member access onlyYou have reached the end of this Article Preview
To continue reading, join now for free and get complete access.
orJoin Now for Free

Read more articles that highlight writing by Christian women at ChristianityToday.com/Women

Diane Paddison

Diane Paddison is a business professional and founder of 4wordwomen.org, local groups of professional working women committed to faith, family, work, and each other.

Free CT Women Newsletter
Calling; Community; Decisions; Dreams; Guidance; Mentoring; Work
Today's Christian Woman, April Week 4, 2014
Posted April 23, 2014

Read These Next

Comments

Join in the conversation on Facebook or Twitter

May 25

Follow Us

More Newsletters

Facebook
Twitter